Sometimes we just need to indulge ourselves and think of things we love and that bring us joy. So this month, we're just sharing a Valentine's Day recipe to indulge outselves. In the middle of all that is going on this season, lets take time to celebrate joy with a little help from a girl's best friend, Chocolate. This recipe from Lydia Simpson, CHC, takes a little bit of time, but oh what a delight! You can always make a double batch and freeze some.
Cacao Ganache Tart
Nut and Date raw crust:
· 1- 1 ⁄ 2 cups nuts, almonds and cashews raw
· 1 ⁄ 3 cup raw cacao powder
· 1 ⁄ 2 cup pitted dates
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 1 ⁄ 4 tsp sea salt
Cacao Ganache filling:
· 1 cup coconut oil melted
· 1 ⁄ 3 cup raw honey
· 1 ⁄ 2 tsp sea salt
· 1 ⁄ 2 cup carob powder or part cocoa
· 1 ⁄ 2 cup cacao powder
· 1 Tbsp maca root powder
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1 ⁄ 2 cup full-fat coconut milk
· Garnish with unsweetened shredded coconut lightly toasted
Or chopped, toasted nuts
1. To make nut and date raw crust:
2. Place nuts in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
3. Add remaining ingredients to nuts and process until desired
consistency. You want it to be sticky, but not too moist.
4. Small tart pans with removable bottoms are perfect for these. Another
option is to form small amounts of dough (1 T or so) into mini muffin
pans that have been greased.
5. Place the muffin pan or tart pans in the freezer while preparing the
6. To make filling:
7. Melt oil in double boiler or in a stainless steel bowl over a pot of warm
8. Whisk in the remaining ingredients to be sure they are well
emulsified. The consistency will be pourable like a ganache glaze.
You may need to increase heat slightly to achieve this.
9. Remove the muffin pan or tart pans from the freezer.
Pour the filling into the shells. Sprinkle toasted coconut or nuts on tops
evenly. Chill to set for 15-30 minutes.
Carefully remove from the pans and serve. A dollop of whipped
cream, dairy or non dairy, makes this dessert even more delicious and
Makes approximately 4- 4 inch tart shells or about 20 tartlets
Over 40 years of Herbal and nutritional experience.